How do I open an account?
You will need to come to City Hall and make application for services. Applications can be printed from this site; you can complete the application and bring it with you when you come.

Residential Application

Commercial Application

Contractor's Application

What will I need to bring?
Picture ID (Drivers License)
Proof of ownership - Copy of your Lease Agreement (if you are renting) or Warranty Deed (if are the owner or are purchasing).
Certificate of occupancy – service for a newly constructed home requires that a CO be issued before service can be set up for the resident to occupy the home.
911 address for the location that you wish to have connected
Social Security Number
*Commercial Applicants must also provide a City of Alachua Local Business Tax Receipt

How much will it cost?
Security Deposit
Residential Electric deposit      $150.00
Residential Water deposit         $40.00
Residential Sewer deposit        $50.00
Residential Irrigation deposit     $40.00

*Commercial utilities deposits are calculated at two and a half times the average bill of a comparable business.

Letter of Credit
You may also obtain a letter of credit from your prior utility provider stating the you have had service with them for no less than a 24 month period with no disconnects, no returned checks and not more than one late payment during this period of service. You may have the letter faxed to our office. This approved letter of credit will allow you to connect service with out a paying a security deposit.     Letters of Credit only applies to Residential service.

Service charges to connect service

Electric                  $25.00 per meter
Water                    $25.00 per meter
Irrigation                $25.00 per meter
Service charges are a fee and are nonrefundable.

How long will it take to connect my Utility service after I have made application?
As long as you make application before 3:00PM, the service will be connected the same day. If it is after 3:00PM the service will be connected on the following business day. You may also schedule a specific date in advance for connection.

What will the City Of Alachua bill me for?
You monthly utility bill will be a combined statement consisting of charges for you Electric usage, Water usage, Sewer service, Refuse service, Mosquito service and applicable taxes.

When is my meter read?
Billing cycle 1 meters are read around the 10th day of each month and Billing cycle 2 meters are read around the 25th day of each month. The exact date that the meter readers will began reading for your cycle is printed on the bottom of your bill each month.

When is my bill due?
If you are on cycle 1 your bill is due on the 10th of each month.
If you are on cycle 2 your bill is due on the 25th of each month.

Can a utility payment be made after regular business hours?
Payments can be dropped of in our night deposit box located in the drive-thru of City Hall 24 hrs a day. The night deposit box is emptied once per day at 8:00 A.M.

Can I get an extension on the payment of my utility bill?
The city will be permitted to extend the payment of a utility bill once per customer in a twelve (12) month period.

What payment options are available?
•    Pay Online.
Use the Account Information system to pay online when and where you choose. All you need is your City of Alachua customer account number, your credit or debit card. You have the flexibility to use this every month or once in awhile, and you can be assured that your payment will be securely processed.

*A convenience fee is assessed by a credit card payment processing vendor or company to accept and process a credit card payment for you, the customer, in payment of a billed charge or service which has been provided. The City of Alachua does not receive any portion of the convenience fee.

•    Sign up for Automatic Monthly Payment Plan.
Participate in the Automatic Monthly Payment Plan which allows your payment to be withdrawn out from your specified bank account. Your bill is always paid and always on time, so it’s one less thing for you to worry about and best of all it’s free!  Click Automated Payment Authorization, print form, complete and return to City Hall.
*Please note that Automatic Monthly Payment Plan is not for making an immediate payment*

•    Pay at the office.
Pay at the front counter or drive-thru window located at-15100 NW 142 Terrace, Alachua, FL 32615 during working hours (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday).Cash, check and money orders are accepted.
Pay at the “drop box” located in the drive-thru at any time. However, your payment may not be credited to your account until the next business day. Remember to include the billing statement to assure the payment is credited to the correct account.

•    Pay by mail.
Pay by mail and don’t forget the bill statement stub to assure payment is credited to the correct account. Mail to PO Box 9, Alachua, FL 32616-0009.

What if the due date falls on a weekend or a holiday when City hall is closed?
If the day you bill is due is on a weekend (Saturday or Sunday) or a Holiday when City hall is closed, the due date is extended to the first business day after the due date.

When will my service be disconnected if I fail to pay by the due date?
Utility services are subject to disconnection on the day the account becomes delinquent, which is the close of business seven days after the due date. The exact cut off day date and time is printed on the bottom of you bill each month because the exact date will vary.

Can I still make a payment online if my utility services have been disconnected or are scheduled for disconnection?
Yes, however you will need to call the Utility Billing Department at (386) 418-6110 during normal business hours (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. through 4:30 p.m.) to ensure that you have paid the correct amount. On the scheduled disconnection date your account will be subject to service fees as well as a possible deposit which may or may not be reflected in your current online balance.

How much will it cost to get utility services reconnected after disconnection for non-pay?
The delinquent bill plus a service charge of $25.00 for electric and $25.00 for water is paid. If the account was opened with a letter of credit and the account does not have a current deposit the customer will also be required to pay the amount of a current deposit for the services rendered at their location. Before services will be reconnected. If in the event a customer’s service is disconnected more than once for delinquency of account such service will remain off until the deposit on the customer’s account equals twice the amount of the current deposit or the amount of the customer’s highest bill during the past six  (6) months whichever is greater, plus the above stated charges.

What happens if I have a check returned for non-sufficient funds?
When the City receives a check back for NSF the customer’s account is adjusted for the amount of the returned check plus a service charge of $25.00. The customer is then hand delivered a notice to their home, by means of a door hanger notifying them that they have Twenty-four (24) hour to make payment to recover the NSF. Payment be made with cash, cashiers check, or money order only.  If payment is not made within the 24 hours, the utility services will be disconnected.

When will utility services be reconnected after the account is paid in full?
Utility services will re - connected on the same day the account is paid as long as the payment is made before the close of business. Payments made via the night deposit box for accounts that are disconnected will not be re-connected until the following business day.

When do I get charged a late fee and how much?
At the close of business on the date the bill is due.  The amount charged is 10% on the balance of the current charges due.

When do I get my deposit back?
Residential customer deposits are credited to the final bill when the account is closed. If the final bill is less than the deposit in hand than the City will issue a check for the credit. If the final bill is more than the deposit on hand the customer will receive a bill for the remaining balance. Any residential customer who has, for each consecutive month for a twenty-four (24) month period, with no more than one late notice, no disconnects, and no returned checks, may qualify for the Good credit refund. Customer must fill out a Good credit deposit refund form which must be approved by the Utility billing supervisor before the deposit can be credited to next cycle billing. Deposits are credited back to the customers account, no checks are issued for good credit refunds. Click Good Credit Deposit Refund Request, print, complete and return to City Hall.