The City of Alachua is proud to host a variety of holiday and special events throughout the year. Whether a resident or a visitor in Alachua, be sure to check out our events throughout the seasons and mark your calendar for family fun.
Friday, January 19th, 2018
6:00 -9:00 pm
The City of Alachua Historic Main Street will host live music and art on Friday, January 19th from 6pm-9pm!! This self guided tour event will feature a local artist and reception in each participating business. Visitors will also have the exciting opportunity to watch artists give live demonstrations! This free event will feature art, music, and food!
1. The Alachua Chamber of Commerce is the beginning of the Alachua Artwalk. Experience Judi Cain’s vibrant abstract Creative Energy Paintings. Cain describes her process as, “allowing the materials to use my hands and my eyes to direct me in every movement.” Start your adventure here!
2. Popovers: Explore the rural landscapes of the region through the photography of Kevin Fitz. Local to Alachua, Fitz portrays the beauty of the springs and natural landscape close to his home.
3. Sign Pro of North Florida: Learn the ins and outs of sign making from the shop’s lead designer and fabricator Douglas Hancock. Inspired by the billboard painters Hancock saw growing up, he studied large format, hand-painted murals under some of the top muralists in the country. See one of his full size murals on display!
SignPro is also excited to display the work of Kristin Grace, Florida Museum of Natural History resident photographer. Grace’s work is an appreciation of the rare and delicate beauty of Florida through photography.
4. Music Junction: Listen to a live bluegrass jam session this evening—featuring the banjo, guitar and mandolin! Complementing the music is Rob Sower’s impressionist and abstract oil paintings.
5. Valerie’s Loft: Watch how Nicole Stroud designs and makes personalized T-shirts and bows with her cutting machine. Have her make a custom piece just for you! Light refreshments will be provided with demonstrations going on all evening.
6. The Good Life Market Place: At this shop you will be able to see paintings of mountains and landscape silhouettes by Jackie Holsey. The market will also host a craft activity for adults and kids!
7. Theatre Park: Take a trip inside a giant suitcase! Walk into Frank Curtis’ sensational, interactive large scale sculpture and become an artist as you create your own chalk art! Curtis’ acclaimed and collectable suitcase assemblage art has been featured on the TV show “Gallery”, and most recently shown in the Appleton Museum, of Ocala, FL.
Providing the evening’s music will be The Museum of Oddities (MoO), with John Young on vocals and Bruce Johnson on guitar. Young and Johnson travel the back roads to both coasts of central Florida to bring their own take on a wide variety of music. Expect some original tunes, traditional acoustic fare, some classic rock, the odd country song or three and a bit of the unexpected—all mixed together with a hint of west coast psychedelia.
8. Julie’s Pins and Needles: Experience a live portrait painting session by Nika Zakharov! From southern Ukraine originally, Zakharov earned her five-year degree in painting and art history from Odessa Grekov School of Fine Arts and BFA in printmaking from the University of Florida. The artist works primarily from live models making her portraits of people colorful, astute, and engaging.
Also on display will be the decorative but functional by design pottery of Rob Cooper. His hand spun pottery is earthy and reminds viewers of the potential for beauty in our daily objects.
Demonstrations will also be given by narrative textile/mixed media artist Carolee Jandreau who portrays story-like inspirational themes on her cloth paintings.
9. Kelly’s Kreations: See how artist Dee Carolina uses her art as a vehicle to discuss human struggle and mental health. Her abstract paintings include both random and deliberate images under organic materials such as plants, wood and insects all sewn, glued and textured together to create something that resonates with her viewers. Kelly’s Kreations will also have a Valentine’s Day themed craft activity!
10. Tony & Al’s: End your evening with dinner and classic rock guitar covers performed by local musician Mark Mialy.