The purpose of a Pre-Application Conference is to familiarize the applicant with the provisions of the Land Development Regulations (LDRs) which may be applicable to the proposed development, and to provide information to the applicant which is necessary to prepare the application for submission.
The applicant should come to the meeting prepared to discuss the proposed development in enough detail so that Staff can comprehensively evaluate the proposal and provide helpful feedback to the applicant. An application which requires a Pre-Application Conference may not be submitted until after the conference is conducted.
In addition to meeting with the Planning Department, it is also recommended that the applicant speak directly with the Public Services Department to discuss issues such as connection fees, line extensions, capacity, etc.
Who Must Attend a Pre-Application Conference?
A Pre-Application Conference is mandatory prior to the submission of any application for:
- Site Specific Amendments to the Official Zoning Atlas (Rezoning);
- Site Plans;
- Planned Developments;
- Minor Subdivisions;
- Major Subdivision Preliminary Plats;
- Historic Overlay District Classification;
- Special Permits for Land and/or Water Filing, or Dredging;
- Special Exceptions;
- Text Amendments to the LDRs;
- Vested Rights Certificate;
- Beneficial Use Determination;
- Wellfield Exemption Permit; and,
- Development Agreements.
A Pre-Application Conference is optional prior to submission of any application for a development permit that is not listed above.
Who Should Attend a Pre-Application Conference?
The applicant is welcome to invite any and all parties who could contribute to or benefit from the Pre-Application Conference. This may include, but not be limited to, owners, developers, or development professionals, such as civil engineers, planners, landscape architects, etc.
Requesting a Pre-Application Conference
An applicant proposing to submit an application for which a Pre-Application Conference is mandatory shall, prior to submission of the application, send a written request to the LDR Administrator to facilitate a conference. Written requests may also be submitted in the form of scanned letters which are attached to email correspondence. Written requests must be submitted at least three (3) business days in advance of the Pre-Application Conference.
As part of your written request, you must submit at minimum a description of the:
- Character, location, and magnitude of the proposed development;
- A concept or sketch plan;
- Information regarding the status of the public facilities proposed to serve the development; and
- Basic environmental information.
Discussion Topics at the Pre-Application Conference
In addition to providing general feedback based on the information provided by the applicant, Staff may also wish to discuss the following:
- Land use consistency;
- Allowed uses and accessory uses in the Zone District;
- Public facilities impacts and written analysis (traffic, potable water, sanitary sewer, stormwater, solid waste, recreation and schools);
- Other permits (FDOT, SRWMD, etc.);
- Environmental Considerations (protected flora/fauna or habitat, Tree Protection Ordinance, landscaping, open space, aquifer recharge/geologic integrity, wetlands/water bodies, flood zones, etc.);
- Parking (minimum and maximum requirements, stacking, loading areas, etc.);
- The Neighborhood Meeting process;
- The Development Review Process (DRT, review calendar, public meetings, advertising requirements, etc.);