What is a Pre-Application Conference?
The purpose of a Pre-Application Conference is to familiarize the applicant with the provisions of the City’s Land Development Regulations (LDRs) that may be applicable to the proposed development, and to provide the applicant with important information that will be useful in preparing an application to be submitted for review.
The applicant should come to the meeting prepared to discuss the application in enough detail so that Staff can thoroughly evaluate the proposal and provide the applicant with helpful feedback.
An application for which a Pre-Application Conference is mandatory may not be submitted until after the conference is held.
In addition to meeting with the Planning Department, it is also recommended that the applicant obtain preliminary feedback concerning utilities from the Public Services Department at 386-418-6140. Issues to discuss with the Public Services Department may include, but are not limited to, connection fees, utility line extensions, water / wastewater system capacities, and other similar topics.
When is a Pre-Application Conference required?
A Pre-Application Conference is mandatory prior to thsubmitting an application for:
- Site Specific Amendments to the Official Zoning Atlas (Rezoning);
- Site Plans;
- Planned Developments;
- Minor Subdivisions;
- Major Subdivision Preliminary Plats;
- Historic Overlay District Classifications;
- Special Permits for Land and/or Water Filing, or Dredging;
- Special Exceptions;
- Text Amendments to the LDRs;
- Vested Rights Certificates;
- Beneficial Use Determinations;
- Wellfield Exemption Permits; and,
- Development Agreements.
A Pre-Application Conference is optional prior to submitting any other application type not identified above.
Who should attend a Pre-Application Conference?
The applicant may invite all persons who may contribute to or benefit from the Pre-Application Conference. This may include, but is not limited to, property owners, developers, or professional consultants, such as civil engineers, planners, landscape architects, etc.
How do you request a Pre-Application Conference?
An applicant must submit a request in writing to the Planning Department. Written requests may be submitted in the form of a letter or an email, so long as all required information is provided in the request.
Written requests must be submitted at least three (3) business days in advance of the desired meeting date. The applicant may include availability with the written request to facilitate with the scheduling of the meeting.
What must I submit as part of my written request?
The written request must include, at a minimum:
- A description of the character, location, and magnitude of the proposed development;
- A concept or sketch plan;
- Information regarding the status of the public facilities proposed to serve the development; and
- Basic environmental information.
What will be discussed at the conference?
In addition to providing general feedback based on the information provided by the applicant, Staff may also wish to discuss the following:
- Land use consistency;
- Allowed uses and accessory uses;
- Public facilities impacts and analysis requirements (traffic, potable water, sanitary sewer, stormwater, solid waste, recreation, public school impacts);
- Other permits (FDOT, SRWMD, etc.);
- Environmental Considerations (protected flora/fauna or habitat, tree protection, landscaping, open space, aquifer recharge/geologic integrity, wetlands/water bodies, flood zones, etc.);
- Parking (minimum and maximum requirements, stacking, loading areas, etc.);
- Neighborhood Meeting requirements;
- The Development Review Process (Development Review Team meetings, the review calendar, public meetings, advertising requirements, etc.); and,
- Any other applicable topics.